God Speaks. We Listen.

on Friday, January 6, 2012

“My sheep listen to my voice…” (John 10:27a)

God speaks. That could be the end of this devotional.

The gravity of that statement is enough to meditate on for a long, long time. God is actively engaging with his people in a personal and loving way. He is communicating. Amen!

What does that mean for us? One of the simplest conclusions that can be made about such a vast truth is that we must listen.

Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”

How do we come to know the Lord’s voice?

First of all, we must listen. We must be patient and still as we wait upon the Lord. But coming to know the Lord’s voice is a learning process as well. As we learn to listen we will inevitably make mistakes, but there are checks and balances along the way that can help us.

Is the voice consistent with scripture and the character of God?
Is the voice confirmed by wise guides?
Is the voice aligned with inexplicably coordinating circumstances?
We listen, we learn, and we discern, but may we always come back to the fact that the God who created the whole world is speaking to you and me.

God, thank you for speaking. Thank you for your words and their life-giving presence. Holy Spirit, help me discern the one true voice amidst the many false ones. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Question:
Does the thought of God speaking to you on a personal level amaze you?
How could you be a better listener?

The Power to Change - WB Journal

0 comments:

Post a Comment


span.fullpost {display:inline;}